13 February 2005

Album Review: Belle And Sebastian - Dear Catastrophy Waitress

Author: Aurelia Wilson

1.Step Into My Office, Baby - Oooooh that beginning riff gets in you and you think 'Oh I'm gonna love this!' and you will! It's about sleeping 'with the boss's baby'. Not like any of us have done that? There's irony in it somehow. Rockstars working at offices and crushing on the boss's baby. So you like it eh? Well, do it again!

2. Dear Catastrophe Waitress - Starts off quite slow, like you are expecting an acoustic track but wait another few seconds; Dear Catastrophe Waitress is a random saying, nothing you'd hear everyday. It's a blend of drums and guitars and everything works.

3. If She Wants Me - This one is a dreamy catchy one. The little lick is so splendid and the lyrics are simply dandy. Stuart does some awesome vocals which add to the whole effect. The chorus gets in you and doesn't leave.

4. Piazza, New York Catcher - No doubt it is acoustic you aren't getting tricked like in Dear Catastrophe Waitress. It's telling a story about how their life and Piazza the New York catcher compares.

5. Asleep on a Sunbeam - So I'm nearly in the middle of the album and Oh My Gosh, it's a girl singing!! That was unpredicted. Sarah sings the song with help from Stuart. This is such a dandy song and it puts you in a happy mood. Everything feels light and airy kinda like summer. What's better than sleeping and summer? My joy is complete...

6. I'm A Cuckoo - Easily one of my favorites and easily cool. Funny lyrics and the whole instruments come together to make a light, airy peachy atmosphere for the song. It's a feeling I get like I'm flying on a sunny day. That's saying something.

7. You Don't Send Me - I have a weak spot for the use of trumpets in rock music. It gives the music a Soulful flavor (flavor is a word I don't use often). The versus including all the instruments and all sorts of vocals. I was so afraid the chorus would break up because it's drums and only drums but it keeps going and it finishes well.

8. Wrapped Up in Books - Normally I'd think the drums is what makes the song flow but the bass is what keeps it up. Again being normal I skip it; it's a great song don't get me wrong!!! It'll grow on you and give it time and it'll be golden. Bottom half though.

9. Lord Anthony - The beginning has a whimsical feeling. It's a fairy tale!! No, it's not but it's a quiet song but it builds up. Anthony is that kid who was always picked on and how he overcomes it all.

10. If You Find Yourself Caught In Love - The beginning is misleading; it's not a piano song. It's rather funny actually. It picks up about a minute in the song. Looking for love is so difficult; just as difficult as falling in love. The tune is so attractive! I rather enjoy the tempo leading up to the chorus.

11. Roy Walker - Oh this sounds like something you'd hear in the fifties; very retro but once the vocals start it gets updated. Music stops and it's snapping which is very circa 1950 music. You'll get immersed in the tempo and noises. Sounds during the vocal part; they aren't made by instruments but it's mash-up of all these noises; don't be afraid if you find yourself snapping along to it.

12. Stay Loose - I'm a sucker for Napoleon Dynamite and this sounds like Napoleon music. It's like an 80s techno meets indie jazzesque. Unique in fact.

No comments: