17 January 2005

Music Feature: Music Media - How Music Is Obtained by Aurliea Wilson

Author: Aurliea Wilson

Remember way back when, the good old 8 track was the thing? It's ok neither do I. I wasn't around. Well, my parents have persuaded my musical taste and they aren't supportive of my new indie obsession. Anyways, there was 8-tracks, tape players, record players and more recently the portable CD player and even more recent the MP3 player, made popular by Apple's iPod.

Using my retro CD player to listen to the songs of many indie rock bands, I've learned to love my CD player, CD's and music much more respectively with the occasional 'oops, I dropped it on the floor again' mishaps. Compact Discs bring much more to the listener than MP3 players do. They bring album art, materialistic being of the songs and the presence of going to the music store to buy them. The downfalls of owning CDs, costly, space taking, CD player breaks and the worst one of all what do you do when the CD is scratched? Some can clean it while others cannot. It all evens out does it not?

The craze for Apple iPods is so...crazy, putting it simply. My major concern is 200 bucks for about 8000 songs I won't use. The are expensive and hold too much and don't serve the purpose they were made for, at least in my experience with those who do own the item. The iPod has become a status symbol. The question is "You have an iPod?" and not "What’s on your iPod?" A lot can be said about the person by their music. The new mini's are ripoffs. Less amount of songs for a more sum of money. What gives?

Many other MP3 players serve just as well as a purpose and yet are cheaper and stylish J the upsides are: all sorts of songs in your palm or pocket, more songs in less space, more portable, no cases to hold CDs. Tempting eh? It is many people have thought of purchasing these players. Mind you, most of these people don't own CD players. Again it's a status symbol that's not going to serve its rightful purpose.

I still love my CD player and will probably use it a lot more than my MP3 player yet, I still like to put it in my pocket and dance around with Franz Ferdinand playing.

No comments: