22 November 2004

Live Review: Modest Mouse at London Astoria -18th November 2004

Author: Silke

Usually it's not too difficult to get rid of a spare ticket to a gig, because there's always a friend who wants to go as well. However, with a spare ticket available for Modest Mouse at the Astoria I encountered lots of "thanks, but no thanks", "modest mouse, who are they? Cheers, I'll pass sweetheart" from my friends and acquaintances. Nobody seemed interested enough in joining us.

Even outside the venue there were no ticketless fans only lots of rain and puddles. In the end I got a tenner for the ticket from a dodgy tout which annoyed me a lot as I hate touts, but as soon as I heard the first few Modest Mouse tracks I forgot all about it. The gig was truly phenomenal! At the risk of sounding smug, I can only say to all those of you who turned down the opportunity to join us in the Modest Mouse fun: YOU MISSED OUT!

For those of you whose reaction would've been similar to those of my philistine friends (i.e. "modest what? who the heck are they"), Modest Mouse are a mighty fine indie band from Issaquah (in the US state of Washington) and have been around since 1993 and came back with a bang this year with their album "Good News for People Who Love Bad News".

The gig started with a couple of slightly odd and confused minutes when the band came on stage to "get ready" with leading man Isaac Brock getting changed into a snazzy stripey boating jacket and white trousers in plain view (showing off his massive anchor tattoo on his back) whilst the rest of the band fiddled about with their pedals and instruments.

The band then launched into what can only be described as an amazingly eccentric and stirring set (mainly consisting of tracks from their latest album) with lots of crazy and eclectic instrument changes (including string bass, banjo, keyboards and various percussion implements).

Modest Mouse's frontman Brock stood stage-left (I guess determined not to be the "frontman") but he certainly led the rock 'n' roll mayhem which included highlights such as their latest single "Float On" with its highly contagious guitar line, the amazing banjo playing on Bukowski and the anthemic and fabulous "Trailer Trash" (from their 1997 album "Lonesome Crowded West") which had me dancing up a sweat and singing out loud.

Brock's between-song banter was completely unintelligible but it made me giggle and altogether the gig had an incredibly happy feel and showed off a more upbeat side of Modest Mouse. More frustrated, angry and morbid songs like "Bury Me With It" and "Dance Hall" were left off the set list. Instead, the very final encore, a rousing romp through the hopeful "The Good Times Are Killing Me" was just the perfect way to round off such a remarkable and uplifting gig for me! I loved it and if Modest Mouse are ever back in town I recommend that all of you who didn't get the chance (or refused the opportunity!!!) actually go and see them. You won't be disappointed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounded great, will check out the new album. :)

Anonymous said...

Great blog you have. I have a site about appalachian banjos. You can check it out at appalachian banjos