04 November 2004

Album Review: The Postal Service - Give Up

Author: Silke

The Postal Service
I have to confess: I'm an addict. I recently created my own radio station on Yahoo LAUNCHcast Radio and I'm hooked. In case you've never heard of LAUNCHcast, the site lets you create your own radio station (you have to have a yahoo account) for which you have to rate artists, songs and albums. Basically you advise LAUNCHcast of the music you love and the music you simply can't stand and the system will produce a radio experience that includes music you adore as well as new music you might like based on your tastes.

The truth is I have become obsessed with it and have rated more than 5000 artists/tracks/albums which according to the site officially makes me an ADDICT. But the beauty of the radio station isn't just the fact that you can hear all your favourite tunes, but also that you get to discover new bands that other people who have similar tastes to you have rated highly. This is how I discovered The Postal Service.

I now have to confess again: I'm an addict. I'm absolutely captivated by the Postal Service's debut album "Give Up"; for the last eight days I have listened to nothing else. In my defence, the album is the most infectious and most exasperatingly addictive record I have heard in a long time.

The album is a collaboration between Ben Gibbard (from Death Cab For Cutie) and Jimmy Tamborello (from Figurine) and can only be described as a new wavey indie pop gem which makes me feel giddy and melancholic at once. It was created by Ben and Jimmy mailing tapes back and forth between their homes (hence the band name) and is full of wonderful details and background noises that you only catch after a few listens but which will absolutely hypnotise you.

It's hard to pick favourites on the album as it is the album as a whole that mesmerises me, but these are probably the highlights:

"The District Sleeps Alone Tonight" fuses the sound of funeral organs with what can only be described as slightly nervous, adolescent angsty beats and strings in a wonderful ballad full of heart break and loneliness.

"Such Great Heights" is a wonderful declaration of love with one of the most infectious openings I've heard in a long time.

"Sleeping In" is so catchy, sweet and mellow I almost want to hate it, but the vocals draw you in so much you can't help but fall in love with it.

"Nothing Better" has a dark bounciness that makes me quiver. I absolutely adore the lyrics of this duet which is the conversation of a couple breaking up and contemplating whether or not they're meant for each other.

"This Place Is A Prison" has a gloominess with almost whispered lyrics is simply delicious and the track has a breathtaking and intoxicating build up with a volcanic eruption of string and drum sounds.

"Brand New Colony"s main melody was put together from 1980s video game samples and simply makes me want to dance!

Altogether the whole album invites you into a dream of nostalgia and unrequited love with a melancholic indie pop sound which owes a lot to the early Cure and the camp electro pop of New Order, the Pet Shop Boys and Ultravox. I can but highly recommend it. A word of warning though: it is highly addictive!

No comments: