30 October 2004

Band Feature: The Go! Team

Author: Dollyrocker

The Go! Team
It's not too often that a band comes along that equally confuses and excites the hell out of me, but when I heard The Go! Teams 'The Power Is On' single back in July, I had a warm glowing feeling that I hadn't felt since I heard Quickspace back in 1995, or maybe Beta Band when they put out 'The Patty Patty Sound' EP.

So who the hell are The Go! Team then? Well that's precisely what I thought when I first heard them, they almost sounded like they could have been Japanese (I think one of them is, thus my confusion), but in actual fact they are a bunch of fresh young fellows from sunny Brighton.

I guess that they must have sprung up in the last couple of years, as the date on their 'Junior Kickstart' EP is 2003, but their first LP 'Thunder, Lightning, Strike' has crept out over the last month or so (I think) and I have yet to have had time to actually go record shopping, but when I do, this LP will be first on my list.

So; the music, as I actually know very little about these guys, is like the kind of thing that Charlie Brown and the gang would have made if let loose on the schools music trolley. And trust me, this is a very, VERY good thing! 'The Power Is On' sounds like 'The Number Song' by DJ Shadow played on double speed with Japanese children shouting excitably about Hello Kitty into a mic that came free with a karaoke machine from Argos (and probably did). On the Junior Kickstart EP (get ebaying) we get the title track which sounds like a classic soundtrack from an imaginary 70's cult TV drama, with DOUBLE the energy of all the Strokes wannabes doing the rounds PUT TOGETHER! With harmonicas. The second track; 'Feelgood By Numbers' is just excellent, slightly reminiscent of Gorkys circa 1994, but with a much heavier summer breeze feel about, this is lazy summer music for any time of year. Put your body near the radiator, close your eyes and look at the lamp and PRETEND. The Go! Team would be proud. 'We Listen Everyday' is the EP's closer, and almost sound like an alternative royal anthem, rips off a line from 'Music Of The Night' from Andrew Lloyd Webber, although I don't think this was intentional, bless 'em.

In a music scene seemingly dominated by wannabes and hasbeens, I embrace this band with open arms. They play London Mean Fiddler on 20th November 2004, so go on, treat yourself. It's gonna be one hell of a ride...

No comments: