21 October 2004

Album Review: The Fever - Red Bedroom

Author: Emily Jane

Last week I went to The Sokol to see The Faint. It was an awesome night, not only because I got to see The Faint, but because I discovered a new band to be in love with: The Fever. They were like a mixture of some of my favorite music, like a blend of The Hives and The Faint. I immediately bought their new album, Red Bedroom.

The album, as a whole is great. It is has a good flavor that I don’t see much in albums by "underground" bands; it is up beat and catchy. All of the tracks have something special unlike "Room On Fire" by The Strokes which sounds like one very long song; each song has a phrase or guitar riff that makes it memorable. A few of the tracks really stick out though, both because of their retro style and vocals.

The first track, "Cold Blooded" is one of my favorites. It knows how to get stuck in my head and not let me go. Not in a bad way like "Who Let the Dogs Out" which repeats itself in one big annoying circle but, in a good way like when my mind goes blank and Ms. Anderson rambles on and on about variables and exponents all I hear is "she's so cold, she's so cold, she's so cold."

The fifth track, "Put It On You" has a retro theme about it that I really appreciate in a song because it is fresh. I could picture Tracy Turnblad from "Hairspray" jumping and dancing around to this kind of song. (Yes I am a drama nerd) It shows that they can move away from their regular stuff, like The Hives did in "A Little More for Little You" from Tyrannosaurus Hives. It is different while fitting in with the rest of the album.

The Fever is not only great in the music department, let me tell you ladies; they are a great looking band. Geremy Jasper (awesome name!), lead vocals, is not only good looking in the conventional sense, but he has a whole artsy, musical aura about him that could make anyone go crazy. Chris Sanchez, lead guitar, has a very cool hippie thing about him. I don't know if it is the crazy hair or the vest but it is great. Keith, J and Achilles are also very pretty! (Wow! I didn’t mean to but I sounded very Seventeen Magazine there!)

Over all The Fever is a great band. I can not wait to see what becomes of these guys. I think that Red Bedroom is a great album that every indie rock fan should own.

No comments: